Sunday, October 3, 2010

Once more unto the breach, dear friends.

It’s nearing 3am and I’m in the battle of my life, My eyes are sore and my wrists are aching, but there’s no time for that. The English are moving in on me but I am still holding most of North America and its neighbouring islands. The skies are a blur with enemy jet fighters, pirouetting across the sky in a beautiful dance of destructive results. This is video gaming, this is civilization 5.

I won’t normally talk about the positives in gaming, it bores me. Why dwell on the good when there’s so much negative to talk about? However something about this game grabbed me by the cajones and just refused to let go, not only is the gameplay excellent, but it takes some level of intelligence to play well and 10 year olds won’t last here, the run and gun mentality used successfully in most games will not only not help you, they will destroy you. You need to think about your next steps, actions have consequences and make the wrong ones and you’ll find yourself curled up in the fetal position, crying as the Germans bomb your 9 hours of work in to the ground.

This game may well become one of those games I grow to hate, my World of Warcraft of the turn based genre so to speak. But as I sit here, sending my loaded aircraft carriers across the ocean to make that one last push for world domination, I think to myself, I’m going to have one hell of a good time hating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment