Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The New Karate Kid Blows

So I just got done watching the "new" Karate kid movie. Now the first thing I noticed while watching this movie, was "wow, this kid can't act". Granted, he's the son of Will Smith and I'm not even slightly a Will Smith fan, so the last thing I want to see when I go the movies is a younger, worse version of someone I already can't stand; However, after I accepted the fact that I was going to hate this movie no matter what, I noticed a few other things. One of these things being where on earth is Johnny Lawrence, you know? the complete bad ass from the 1984 original, he was made of so much utter awesomeness that on alternative watch through's I change who I root for and get mad when Daniel -son cheap shot's him in the face.

So as I sat there drifting off on random tangents, BANG my mind suddenly became clear," no remake is ever better than the original," I would put the feeling in between how Thomas Edison felt when he invented the long lasting light-bulb and the reaction of the first man to ever think of the wheel. So why are remakes never as good?
well it's for very good reason, the original is just exactly that, an original idea. But then 20 or so years later along comes some dick head screenplay writer and thinks "Hey, I see what you were trying to do there, but let me show you how I would have done it better," No dickhead, let go of the mouse and stop copy pasting. I've got an idea for you, it is as follows: sit down, brainstorm and come up with an original idea. I know it's a novel thought, but people have been doing it for thousands of years and then putting them in things called books.

But hey, you know what, why stop at movies, if people have run out of original ideas for screen plays, we must be nearing our originality cap for literature. I mean film remakes are utter plagiarism anyway, why stop with one industry. J.R.R Tolkien's wrote Lord of The Rings pretty good, but I'm sure there's somewhere out there who would like to add their own ideas in to it, maybe bling Gandalf up a bit to make it more accessible for todays urban youth.
I hate Hollywood.


No comments:

Post a Comment